Loan Repayment Program
To be eligible to apply to the National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program, you must be
- A U.S. citizen (either U.S. born or naturalized) or U.S. National;
- Eligible to participate as a provider in the Medicare, Medicaid and the State Children’s Health Insurance Program, as appropriate; and
- Fully trained and licensed to practice in the NHSC-eligible primary care medical, dental or mental/behavioral health discipline in which you are applying to serve.
Additionally, you must
- have unpaid student loans, taken before your application to the NHSC Loan Repayment Program to support undergraduate or graduate education and
- be working at or have an accepted offer of employment with a start date no later than July 18, 2018, at an NHSC-approved service site. You can find open opportunities at NHSC-approved sites at the Health Workforce Connector.
Only clinicians who are fully trained and licensed in one of the following disciplines and specialties are eligible to apply to the NHSC Loan Repayment Program:
Medical Primary Care: Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Geriatrics, Mental Health
- Allopathic and Osteopathic Physicians (MD, DO)
- Nurse Practitioners (NP)
- Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM)
- Physician Assistants (PA)
Dental Primary Care: Family/General, Pediatric, Geriatric
- Doctors of Dental Surgery (DDS)
- Doctors of Medicine in Dentistry (DMD)
- Registered Dental Hygienists (RDH)
Mental and Behavioral Health Primary Care
- Allopathic and Osteopathic Physicians - Psychiatry (MD or DO)
- Health Service Psychologists (HSP)
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW)
- Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC)
- Marriage and Family Therapists (MFT)
- Psychiatric Nurse Specialists (PNS)
- Nurse Practitioners - Mental Health (NP)
- Physician Assistants - Mental Health (PA)
YES: Loans obtained Loans must have been obtained by the applicant to cover school tuition, other reasonable education and living expenses associated with the undergraduate or graduate education, which led to their health professions degree. Only loans provided by federal, state and local entities, as well as commercial institutions qualify.
No: Loans that have been paid in full, are in default, or were obtained for someone other than the applicant do not qualify. Personal lines of credit, credit card debt, and debt associated with relocation or residency programs, do not qualify for repayment.
For a complete listing of loans that qualify for repayment under, see pages 7-8 of the the 2018 Application and Program Guidance (PDF - 511 KB). Persons using assistive technology may not be able to fully access information in this file. For assistance, please call our Customer Care Center at 1-800-221-9393.
Current NHSC Scholars completing their service obligation who wish to be considered for the Loan Repayment Program, two-year award should review the Loan Repayment Application Program and Guidance (PDF - 511 KB) and check the website for open application dates or sign up for email alerts to be notified.