Extend Your NHSC Service to Pay Off Educational Debt
Applying for an NHSC Continuation Contract enables you to continue serving your community once your initial NHSC service commitment ends. By extending your NHSC contract, you agree to continue your NHSC service commitment for 1 year, and the NHSC agrees to provide additional funds for the repayment of your qualifying educational loans.
Review the FY 2018 LRP Continuation Contract Application and Program Guidance (PDF - 645 KB) for detailed information about continuing your NHSC service. Persons using assistive technology may not be able to fully access information in this file. For assistance, please call our Customer Care Center at 1-800-221-9393
When Should You Apply?
|Obligation End Dates Between:||Application Cycle Start and End Dates:|
|September 30, 2017 – June 30, 2018||October 23, 2017 – November 30, 2017|
|July 1, 2018 – August 31, 2018||February 8, 2018 – March 8, 2018|
|September 1, 2018 – September 29, 2018||May 10, 2018 – June 7, 2018|
|3rd year of NHSC Service||$20,000||$10,000|
|4th year of NHSC Service||$20,000||$10,000|
|5th year of NHSC Service||$10,000||$5,000|
|6th year of NHSC Service||$10,000||$5,000|
****Award amounts are contingent upon the budget each Fiscal Year and are subject to change.
How to Apply:
- Determine when your application cycle will open. (See chart above.)
- NHSC will notify you and your site via email once the application cycle opens.
- Log into the Customer Service Portal to begin your application; select "Apply for a Continuation Contract" under the "I Need To..." section of your Customer Service Portal home page.
- Gather documentation that shows you applied all previous NHSC LRP award funds to the reduction of qualifying educational loans approved by the NHSC. Your payment history must include: Lender’s Name, Account Holder’s Name, Account Number, Date of Payment(s), and Amount of Payment(s). View this helpful video to ensure you have proper documentation: https://hrsa.connectsolutions.com/p1zyl36w1pu/
You will need to:
- Continue working at the NHSC-approved practice site(s) listed on your current contract.
- Remain in compliance with the NHSC service requirements. This includes submitting an in-service verification every six months; your service verifications must be up-to-date to be considered for a continuation contract.
- Apply all previous NHSC award funds to the reduction of qualifying educational loans approved by the NHSC.
How to Apply
Determine if you are Eligible to Apply for a Continuation Contract
- Continue working at the NHSC-approved practice site listed on your current contract.
- Remain in compliance with NHSC Service Requirements. This includes submitting a service verification form every six months. Your service verifications MUST be up-to-date if you would like to be considered for a continuation contract.
- Applied all previous NHSC LRP award funds to the reduction of qualifying educational loans that were approved by the NHSC.
Complete and Submit your Online Continuation Contract Application
- During your assigned cycle, log into the Customer Service Portal to complete and submit your continuation application.
- Select "Apply for a Continuation Contract" under the "I Need To..." section of your Customer Service Portal home page. You will also need to collect and upload the following documents: Verification of Payment, Account Statements, and Loan Origination and Disbursement Report.