WHEN TO APPLY
- The 2016 application is now closed.
- Review the 2016 Site Reference Guide carefully to ensure your site meets all the requirements and to gather the required documentation.
- New! NHSC Behavioral Health Program Notification & Comprehensive Behavioral Health Services Checklist (PDF - 1.2 MB) - outlines the updated requirements for behavioral health providers and sites, which impact all current and prospective NHSC sites that provide behavioral health services.
To apply to become an NHSC site, make sure that your facility is an eligible site type and can meet the following requirements:
- Physically located in a Federally-designated Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) and serving the population of that HPSA. The HPSA must correspond to the services provided at that site (e.g., a site providing dental services must be in a designated dental HPSA).
To determine if your facility is located in a HPSA:
- Be a primary care outpatient facility, or a CMS-certified Critical Access Hospital that provides medical, dental or mental and behavioral health services.
- Utilize a qualified discounted/sliding fee schedule and have had it in place for at least 12 months.
- Not deny services to an individual based on inability to pay or enrollment in Medicare, Medicaid, or a state Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP).
- Utilize a credentialing process that includes, at a minimum, reference review, licensure verification, and a query of the National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB).
- Prominently display a statement in common areas (and on the website, if applicable) that explicitly states that
- No one will be denied access to services due to inability to pay; and
- A discounted/sliding fee schedule is available.
An official representative of the applying site must read the NHSC Site Reference Guide (PDF - 536 KB) and must comply with the program requirements as listed in the NHSC Site Agreement in the Guide's Appendix.
NHSC Site Application Webinar
Tuesday, April 26 2:00 – 3:30 PM ET
NHSC Site Application Technical Assistance Call
Tuesday, May 10 2:30 – 4:00 PM ET
Contact your State Primary Care Office for questions about your HPSA designation and the application. The NHSC works closely with your State Primary Care Office and will coordinate a pre-approval site visit as needed.
For additional questions or assistance in becoming an NHSC-approved site, contact the Division of Regional Operations.