Become an NHSC Site
Determine if Your Facility is in a HPSA
Your facility must be located in a Federally-designated Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA).
Check Other Eligibility Requirements
Confirm that your site meets all of the eligibility requirements.
Review the NHSC Site Reference Guide
This document provides important program detail you should understand before applying.
NHSC Site Reference Guide (PDF - 536 KB)
Get Questions Answered
Contact your local PCO before starting your application to make sure your site qualifies and for your HPSA designation. Your PCO will review your online application once submitted.
Create an Account to Apply Online
Create an account with the NHSC, which will allow you to apply online to become an NHSC-approved site.
Gather Required DocumentationCompile the required documentation to submit with your application.
View Required Documents
- Sliding discount fee schedule (Not required for Tribal facilities that provide free services to members)
- Proof of practice (business license, articles of incorporation, commercial lease agreement, state facilities license, accreditation certificate from the Joint Commission, or accreditation by the Association of Ambulatory Health Care)
- Proof of appropriate referral for ancillary, specialty, and inpatient care (MOU, letters from specialty care facilities or providers, proof of hospital admitting privileges)
- Provider Recruitment and Retention Plan
Log in to complete the online application. If an organization has multiple sites located in HPSAs and would like all sites (e.g., satellite site, mobile unit, etc.) to be NHSC-approved, each location must submit a separate Site Application and be approved individually.
For Solo and Private Practitioners
If you are a private practice, complete the application, and you will need to provide the additional required documentation. In addition, Private Practices must be site visited before the application review is completed.View Additional Required Documents
- Patient billing history for prior 12 months from Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP
- Curriculum Vitae for each member of the practice
- Current license to practice
NHSC staff visit all private practice applicants during the application review process. This will extend the time required to complete those applications. For the current application cycle, pre-approval site visits to solo and group private practice sites will be prioritized based on HPSA score. Solo and group practices located in HPSAs of 14 and above will be conducted first. Those located in HPSAs of 13 or below will have their applications held until March 1, 2012. After March 1, if funds and staff resources are still available, remaining pre-approval site visits will be conducted by descending HPSA score.
Learn About the Approval Process
Applications are processed in 6-8 weeks. (Solo and Private Practice require a site visit and will take longer.) Log in to your account to check the status of your application.