- Accepting applications through May 7, 7:30 p.m. ET
- 2015 Application and Program Guidance (PDF -433 KB) has the detailed information you need to apply. Please read carefully before you start your Scholarship Program application.
This checklist will help you prepare and submit your Scholarship application. It can take 3 weeks or more to gather the necessary documentation and complete required forms, so apply early.
1. Review eligibility and service requirements.
- Download, save and read the Application and Program Guidance (PDF – 446 KB)
This document describes the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Scholarship Program in detail, including the responsibilities of Corps members and the application process.
2. Check your eligibility.
Review the eligibility requirements. Make sure that you meet all requirements and are eligible to apply.
- U.S. citizen or national
- Accepted or enrolled in an eligible degree program at an accredited U.S. school in one of the following primary care disciplines:
Medicine (MD or DO)
Dentistry (DDS or DMD)
3. Understand the service commitment.
For each year of financial support (up to four years), the student agrees to serve one year (minimum two years) at an NHSC-approved site in high-need urban, rural, and frontier communities across the nation.
4. Review the types of NHSC-approved sites.
To see what types of sites and jobs are available, explore the NHSC Jobs Center. Many types of health care facilities are NHSC-approved sites, including:
- Federally Qualified Health Centers and Look-Alikes
- Rural Health Clinics
- hospital-affiliated primary care outpatient clinics
- Indian Health Service, Tribal and Urban Indian Health clinics
- State or Federal correctional facilities
- Private practices (solo or group)
- Community mental health facilities
- Community outpatient facilities
- Critical Access Hospitals
- Free clinics
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Health Service Corps
- Mobile units
- School-based health programs
- State and county health department clinics
5. Prepare your application.
- Create an account. You will then receive an email to activate your account and login. If you already created an account, you may use that information to login and begin the application. When entering information in the online application, please make sure all dates are entered in the format MM/DD/YYYY.
- Discuss your application with those who will be submitting information, such as letters of recommendation, on your behalf. Make sure they understand the purpose of the program, accepted letter formats, submission process and the application deadline. You will be able to confirm receipt of the letters through Scholarship application account.
- Gather your documentation. All of your documents must be legible, saved as a PDF or Word document that is no larger than 5 MB. Rtf, txt, msg, tif, png, jpg, jpeg, gif, bmp, xls, xlsx, ppt, and pptx are also accepted, but may delay application review and processing.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship (a birth certificate, ID page of a U.S. passport or certificate of citizenship/naturalization)
- Resume detailing volunteer and work experience (up to five pages)
- Verifications and evaluations from your school
- Acceptance Report/Verification of Good Standing*
- Authorization to Release Information*
- Letters of Recommendation (academic and non-academic)
Additional supporting documentation (if applicable):
- Verification of Exceptional Financial Need Status*
- Verification Regarding Disadvantaged Background*
- Statement Regarding Existing Service Obligation
*These template documents are available through your online NHSC Scholarship application account. You will need to print, complete, scan and upload.
6. Review all of the application information and uploaded documentation prior to submitting your application.
If you make any changes to your application or supporting documentation after submission, you will need to resubmit your application by the application deadline.
Ask questions and learn more about the NHSC Scholarship Program and application process.
Application Help Call
Thursday, March 26 from 7 to 9 pm ET
Dial-in Number: 1-888-391-6801
2015 NHSC Scholarship Application and Program Guidance Overview Webinar
Applicants are encouraged to access the recorded webinar, which will review the program eligibility requirements and application process.
Students-to-Service Program for fourth-year medical students