Students to Service Program
The next Students to Service Loan Repayment Program opens in August 2015. Sign up to get e-mail notification when the cycle opens.
Are you a medical student in your final year of school?
The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Students to Service Loan Repayment Program (S2S LRP) provides up to $120,000 to medical students (MD and DO) in their final year of school in return for a commitment to provide primary health care full time for at least 3 years or half time for at least 6 years at an approved NHSC site in a Health Professional Shortage Area of greatest need.
Our Students to Service infographic (PDF - 470 KB) shows what a difference in debt the S2S LRP program would make for a typical medical student graduating with student loans of $175,000.
- Read the 2015 S2S LRP Application Guidance (PDF - 483 KB). It details the rights and responsibilities of individuals selected to participate in the NHSC Students to Service Loan Repayment Program. However, you must comply with the requirements in the 2016 S2S LRP Application Guidance when the application cycle opens.
- Visit the NHSC Jobs Center to see the kinds of sites where S2S LRP participants serve after completing their residencies.
- Gather documentation you will need to submit with your application. You will need loan verification, school transcript, verification of good standing, proof of passing Step/Level 1 of USMLE/COMLEX, as well as letters of recommendation and a CV or resume.
HOW IT WORKS
You Are Dedicated to Primary Care
- In your final year of medical school, you are committed to pursuing a residency and career in family medicine, internal medicine, general pediatrics, geriatrics, obstetrics-gynecology, and psychiatry
- Looking for a fulfilling experience providing care in communities with a shortage of health professionals
- With qualifying educational loans taken to support your undergraduate and medical school education
You Want to Serve a Community in Need
- Apply during your final year of medical school to the NHSC Students to Service Loan Repayment Program
- Serve the primary care residency of your choice
- Upon completion of your residency, find a job at an NHSC-approved site, where you will serve at least 3 years full time or 6 years half time to receive $120,000 to repay your student loans (or the outstanding balance if it is less than $120,000)
You Receive Financial, Professional, and Personal Benefits
- Pay off all of your student loans with continued service
- Access educational, training and networking opportunities
- Join a community of providers with a shared desire to serve patients with limited access to health care
Brian Freeman, MD, MPH: I want to be a doctor that patients can trust and know I will give them the best advice I can. I want to be their health coach that guides them through any challenge that may arise.
Justin Clark, MD: I knew I wanted to do family medicine and work with the underserved, so it wasn’t a hard choice to decide to apply.
Christen Donnelly, MD: I look forward to being matched up in a community where I can make a difference.