Students to Service Program
Pay down your student loans during residency, serve a community in need when you finish your post graduate years
The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Students to Service Loan Repayment Program (S2S LRP) provides loan repayment assistance to medical students (MD and DO) in their last year of school, in return for a commitment to provide primary health care services in eligible Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) of greatest need.
The FY 2014 Students to Service Loan Repayment Program is closed.
Awards are subject to the availability of funds.
HOW IT WORKS
You Are Dedicated to Primary Care
- In your final year of medical school, you are committed to pursuing a residency and career in family medicine, internal medicine, general pediatrics, geriatrics, obstetrics-gynecology, and psychiatry
- Looking for a fulfilling experience providing care in communities with a shortage of health professionals
- With qualifying educational loans taken to support your undergraduate and medical school education
You Want to Serve a Community in Need
- Apply during your last year of medical school to the NHSC Students to Service Loan Repayment Program
- Serve the primary care residency of your choice
- Upon completion of your residency, find a job at an NHSC-approved site, where you will serve at least 3 years full time or 6 years half time to receive $120,000 to repay your student loans (or the outstanding balance if it is less than $120,000)
You Receive Financial, Professional, and Personal Benefits
- Pay off all of your student loans with continued service
- Access educational, training and networking opportunities
- Join a community of providers with a shared desire to serve patients with limited access to health care
- Primary Care Physician (MD or DO)
- Dentist (DDS or DMD)
- Primary Care Certified Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM)
- Primary Care Physician Assistant (PA)
- Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH)
- Health Service Psychologist (HSP)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Psychiatric Nurse Specialist (PNS)
- Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
Find Jobs at NHSC Sites
Search for primary care job openings and information on NHSC sites. The NHSC Jobs Center currently uses HPSA data as of January 1, 2014, which are the official data for NHSC programs.