Loan Repayment Program
WHEN TO APPLY
Primary care medical, dental and mental/behavioral health clinicians can get up to $50,000 to repay their health profession student loans in exchange for a two-year commitment to work at an approved NHSC site in a high-need, underserved area. The payment is free from Federal income tax and is made at the beginning of service so you can more quickly pay down your loans. Approved sites are located across the U.S., in both urban and rural areas.
After completing your initial service commitment, you can apply to extend your service and receive additional loan repayment assistance.
The amount you receive and length of your commitment depends on where you serve (service at sites in higher need areas yields greater loan repayments). It also depends on whether you select the full-time or half-time option. See the 2015 Application and Program Guidance (PDF - 383 KB) for details. See if your site is already approved at the NHSC Jobs Center.
How It Works
You Are a Dedicated Primary Care Provider
Fully trained and licensed in an eligible discipline:
- Medicine: MD, DO, NP, CNM, PA
- Dentistry: DMD, DDS, RDH
- Mental/Behavioral Health: HSP, LCSW, PNS, MFT, LPC
See Eligibility for eligible primary care specialties
You Serve a Community in Need
- You find a job at an NHSC-approved site
- Apply to the NHSC Loan Repayment Program
- Fulfill your 2-year commitment at your site – with the option to continue your service and receive additional loan repayment
You Receive Financial, Professional, and Personal Benefits
- Pay off all of your student loans with continued service
- Access educational, training and networking opportunities
- Join a community of providers with a shared desire to care for underserved patients