Reporting and Renewal
In-Service Verification. NHSC-approved sites must verify and report to the NHSC any leave (e.g. annual, sick, holidays, snow days, continuing medical education) taken by NHSC clinicians. Therefore, all site administrators should know the NHSC clinical service requirements as outlined in the NHSC Loan Repayment Program Application and Program Guidance (PDF - 397 KB). Clinicians are allowed approximately 35 days away from their site per service year with the NHSC.
All verifications are done through the Customer Service Portal. NHSC clinicians first submit the number of days away through their account. The site administrators then receive a message through the Portal to verify the days away. If incorrect, the site administrator may reject it and send back to the clinician for corrections.
NHSC Site Data Tables. NHSC collects the NHSC Site Data Tables (PDF - 547 KB) from NHSC sites at time of application, recertification, and NHSC site visits. Although the Site Data Tables replace the former annual reporting requirement for NHSC sites, NHSC recommends collecting and tracking all data in the NHSC Site Data Tables on an ongoing basis in order to be prepared for an NHSC site visit or recertification.
Please note that Federally Qualified Health Centers receiving funding through the Health Resources and Services Administration’s Bureau of Primary Health Care are not required to submit the Site Data Tables. In addition, the following site types need only to file the general site information (“Name of Site” through “Total Annual Patient Visits”) and Table 4 (Service Site Staffing): Federal Bureau of Prison (BOP), nonfederal prison, Indian Health Service (IHS), Section 638, and Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) sites.
Is my site required to submit an NHSC Site Recertification?
Log into your Customer Service Portal. If there is an “Expiration Date” listed under the NHSC Approved Sites section, then your site must recertify. Certain federally funded sites are not required to recertify.
When do I need to submit an NHSC Site Recertification?
All sites with an expiration on or before 12/31/2013 must submit a Site Recertification between 9/3/2013 and 11/1/2013. Failure of these sites to submit a complete recertification prior to 11/1/2013 will result in the inactivation of the site. Sites expiring in 2014 will need to recertify in Sept/Oct of 2014. Please check the NHSC website for exact dates. Most sites are required to recertify every three years.
How do I submit a NHSC Site Recertification?
- Log into your Customer Service Portal during the open recertification cycle.
- Click on the name of the site for which you would like to submit a recertification (Note: you may submit a recertification for an “Approved” OR “Inactive” site, but not a “Terminated” site).
- In the “Need Assistance?” box, under “I need to...” click on “Recertify.”
- Start the NHSC Site Recertification Application.
How do I prepare for the NHSC Site Recertification?
- Read the NHSC Site Reference Guide (PDF - 378 KB) carefully to ensure your site meets all requirements.
- Gather all required documents (listed in the Site Reference Guide) . This includes preparing the NHSC Site Data Tables (PDF - 547 KB) for each applying site.
- Ensure the site’s discounted/sliding fee schedule meets all requirements, has been updated to the most recent HHS Poverty Guidelines, and is advertised prominently on the site’s website (if one exists) and through posted signage.